How do you tell if there is a propane leak?
By the smell. A disagreeable odor (similar to rotten eggs) is added to propane so that you will be able to detect the smell easily in case a leak develops.
If you think you smell propane…
- Extinguish all smoking materials and any other open flames or sources of ignition.
- Get everyone outside and away from the building.
- Shut off the gas supply at the tank.
- Call your propane supplier from a neighbor’s phone. If you cannot reach your supplier, call the fire department.
- Stay outside and leave the gas off until the leak has been fixed.
- Turn light switches, appliances or thermostats on or off, and do not use the telephone. A spark from one of these could ignite the gas.
- Light or try to re-light any appliances. Leave this job to your propane supplier.
- Re-enter the building, until the problem has been corrected.